Monday, April 27, 2009

Firehouse

Saturday I got the opportunity to try out a place I had not been to previously. It is an Italian restaurant called Firehouse in NE Portland (711 NE Dekum St). I had heard really good things about it and heard it compared to Nostrana. We got there around 7:30 and were seated almost immediately. They had several good beers and wine on the drink menu. We settled on a Hopworks Belgian Apple beer that was nice and crisp. It was almost like a cider. They also had Double Mountain Hop Lava, which is a quality IPA. Most beers coming out of Hopworks and Double Mountain are extremely solid. When the menu came we were overwhelmed and had a difficult time deciding what to order. Sarah really wanted a Margherita pizza with arugula on it. Since I get my Margherita fix for $5 at Nostrana, I decided to go with the pizza with Lamb sausage. We also ordered an arugula salad. The salad was delicious. It was nice and light and the arugula was crisp and delicious. The taste to the arugula was surprisingly good. I usually am not that fascinated with the arugula, but for some reason this salad was really delicious. My pizza was also very good. It was nice and zesty and the crust tasted delicious. I will confess that I do think Nostrana's pizza is better, though, due to the rich milkiness of their mozzarella cheese. Although, these pizzas were damn good and I think they are comparable if not better than Ken's or Apizza Scholls. I would like to go back and try some of the other items on the menu. We neglected to try the small plates, which looked really good when I saw them brought out. I am a big fan of fried artichoke hearts and should have tried them when I had the opportunity. I also regretted not getting the Halibut or Roasted Chicken. They also had some other salads that looked great. A round of beers, an arugula salad, and two pizzas came to just under $50 after tip. It was worth it and I look forward to going back to try the rest of the menu.


Sorry about the lack of updates. I plan on getting in some more updates this week. If there is anything that you would like me to write about just let me know. Thanks for all the support!

1 comment:

  1. WHAT A SMALL WORLD, YOU KNOW THE GREENS AT THE FIREHOUSE COME FROM MY PAL MIKE. I LOVE THIS CITY AND THE QUAINT COMMUNITY THAT IS FORMING. I LOVE YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH FOOD. THAT BEING SAID.... LETS MAKE SOME TOGETHER SOON!

    ReplyDelete