Monday, April 13, 2009

Budos Band, Fleet Foxes and the Taco Cart


I had a very eventful weekend. I had a few drinks and loosened up the dieting restrictions a little bit. I saw 2 very impressive concerts. One was The Budos Band, a New York funk band on the Daptone label. They put on an amazing show, with a ton of energy. It was not a very long show, but I am glad to see them live as they are very talented and I have been a fan of their music for a few years now. I picked up one of their vinyl records on the way out. I feel like that is a good way to support an artist since I "share" so much music online. They are clearly not rolling in the dough and are just some musicians trying to get by. Sometimes I feel bad about all the free music circulating and I feel that finding good ways to give money back to the music community is important.

Saturday I went to my niegborhood taco cart, Los Gorditos, for a few tacos. I was having the discussion with someone about the nomenclature of taco cards/stands/coachs. When I refer to a taco cart I refer to any of the above. It can be a cart that can't move, a moveable "roach coach", or anything that has wheels or pegs and sells food. Many people are skeptical of these establishments, while infact they often times offer very good food at cheap prices. I enjoy food carts in foreign countries even though my mom raised me to be afraid of them. She also wouldn't ever let me own a slingshot, but thats a whole other blog entry.

Anyway, Los Gorditos is a neighborhood favorite. Located at 50th and Division, they offer some of the best, quick, Mexican food around. They also have tofu and veggie options if you have dreadlocks and/or 3+ dogs. My reccomendation, for those not on a diet, would be to get a chicken burrito. If you order a chicken burrito make sure to do this: ask for it light on the sour cream and ask them to put two scoops of red sauce INSIDE. Sometimes they put too much sour cream in for my preference. The burrito is good to begin with and you surely can put the sauce on as you eat it, but I feel that putting it inside makes it blend with the flavors better and takes it to a new level. This thing is huge and only costs $4.50. Often times I can't eat it all and have a little snack for later. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of a burrito right now as I could not afford the calorie bomb. We got 4 chicken tacos and 4 veggie tacos. These cost about 1.75 and they are a nice size. They are simple. The chicken taco is 2 corn tortillas with shredded chicken, cilantro, and onions. The veggie tacos are slightly more complex with refried beans, avocado, rice, tomato, onion, and lettuce atop 2 corn tortillas. Once you get your tacos they offer 3 different sauces, a spicy red, medium green, and mild greenish red. The tacos are satisfactory and filling if you get enough. They end up costing more than the burrito due to the sheer mass of the burrito.

Sunday night we headed down to the Crystal Ballroom to try to score tickets for the sold out Fleet Foxes/Blitzen Trapper show. Scalpers were trying to get $30-40 bucks for a ticket but we were fortunate enough to get 1 ticket for face value ($15) and one for $25. That was sweet because the scalpers were assholes and I hope they got stuck with some unsold products. The place was packed. We have been big fans of the Fleet Foxes for about a yearand recently started listening to Blitzen Trapper and like them alot. It is amazing that this show sold out on a Sunday night. It just goes to show how popular the Fleet Foxes have become as they were headlining. Just a year ago they were opening for Blitzen Trapper. Blitzen Trapper was awesome. They mainly played songs off of their most recent album ,"Furr." They are from Portland and have tons of energy. I look forward to hearing some of their older albums. They played for about 45 minutes. When the Fleet Foxes came on I was completely blown away. I have been listening to their music religiously for about a year now and could not believe how amazing their hymnal- Crosby, Stills, and Nashesqu style was live. My jaw dropped. They played most of the songs they have released on "Fleet Foxes" and "Sun Giant" as well as 3 new songs. The sound guy was having trouble and there was some feedback during some of the first songs. Also, the Crystal just sounds like shit sometimes. Still, they were amazing. It was near perfection in my opinion with the only problems being due to the accoustics of the Crystal and the problems with the sound system. Either way, if you get the opportunity to see the either of these bands live, go check them out. Theres talk of me possibly getting to eat half a nostrana pizza and some salad during their happy hour sometime this week. Also, if I am able to exercise and am very disciplined this week I may go try out Kenny and Zukes SandwichWorks, their new sandwich spot this week, so there is potential for some good reviews. Until then its veggie wraps and textbooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment